they never say a word.. yet there is this pressure for you to conform.. but tell me? why should you.. its utter nonsense.. don't listen.. not buy into it...

Friday, May 01, 2009

Sheila Rae

without expectation, there would be no disappointment
I don't know what hurts more, the long hours that I spent strapped to the machines
the many moments of sheer panic I felt when the pain and discomfort overwhelmed
or the knowing that all that week of work and self masochism lead to such poor results.

I hate it, this feeling of helplessness. I did everything I could and yet this disease still haunts me. Its been 10 years and I am no where closer to a resolution.

I wished I had better things to tel Dr. Will, to mom and dad, to myself. but I can't stop feeling that I failed and its never going to end. Today it feels like this mountain is too difficult to climb and I can't even muscle the next step.

Today I don't feel very brave.

-----------------------------------------

On coming home today, I could bare answer phone calls or entertain questions about "how did it go". I laid there letting the clips play on skye yet I starred not at the screen but at my reflection. The depressed self that seems to mark every May. In the end I fell asleep in my jeans and jacket, despite the afternoon heat. No one bothered me, it was as if they knew. I arose just in time for dinner, dad cautious this time as he shook me.

I lugged my dead weight to the table and acted as normally as I could muster. Mom had been tired and so she just amounted my behaviour to fatigue too. But during dinner I began to talk, and as I spoke tear welled up and I couldn't help it but say how the last week has been a total waste of time.

What got me though was how my family, at least the remaining members banded together. Mom came over and gave me a hug. Honestly, that's the only thing I've needed all week. Then dad came over too and before I knew it I was pinned between them both semi unable to breathe. OMG, it was like my breath of fresh air. I squealed, eyes still filled with tears "I can't breathe.. too tight.." and dad cracked up about how his glasses were pressing and hurting too.

They just made everything all right. I love them both dearly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home